Longtime Baylor Bear retiring as president of Carson-Newman University
At the end of December, Dr. Randall O’Brien — a former longtime Baylor professor and administrator — will step down from his position as president of Carson-Newman University into retirement after a decade of service at the Tennessee Baptist school.
O’Brien worked at Baylor from 1991, when he was hired as a religion professor, until 2008, when he was named president of Carson-Newman. During his time in Waco, O’Brien received multiple teaching awards from students — including three different outstanding professor awards — before moving into administration, where he at various times served as chair of the religion department, vice president for academic affairs, interim dean of Truett Seminary, and provost.
Beyond the classroom, O’Brien is an established author, frequent pastor and decorated military veteran. He has published more than 100 scholarly articles and written multiple books, including Set Free by Forgiveness: The Way to Peace and Healing and Who Is Jesus?. O’Brien also has served as pastor at churches throughout Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana, and he received four medals (including the Bronze Star) for his service in Vietnam.
Upon his retirement, Dr. O’Brien will be leaving a long list of Baylor graduates who serve as top executives at colleges and universities nationwide and even around the world:
- Dr. J. Blair Blackburn, EDD ’00, East Texas Baptist University, Marshall, Texas
- Eric Bruntmyer, JD ’94, Hardin-Simmons University, Abilene, Texas
- Dr. Gary Cook, BA ’72, Dallas Baptist University, Dallas
- Dr. Barry Creamer, BA ’85, Criswell College, Dallas
- Dr. J. Bradley Creed, BA ’79, Campbell University, Buies Creek, N.C.
- Dr. Elizabeth Davis, BBA ’84, Furman University, Greenville, S.C.
- Harry Davros, JD ’94, Wade College, Dallas
- Dr. Donald Dowless, PhD ’89, Shorter University, Rome, Ga.
- Dr. Ronald Ellis, MSEd ’81, California Baptist University, Riverside, Calif.
- Dr. Mary Hensley, EDD ’89, Blinn College, Brenham, Texas
- Dr. Kao Kim Hourn, BA ’89, University of Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Dr. Chuck Kelley, BA ’74, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, New Orleans
- Dr. Amanda Lee, BA ’88, MA ’90, Bladen Community College, Dublin, N.C.
- Dr. D. Michael Lindsay, BA ’94, Gordon College, Wenham, Mass.
- Dr. Brian McCall, BA ’81, Texas State University System, Austin, Texas
- Dr. Harold Nolte, BS ’77, MSEd ’80, Dodge City Community College, Dodge City, Kan.
- Dr. Dub Oliver, BSEd ’87, Union University, Jackson, Tenn.
- Dr. Randy O’Rear, EDD ’04, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Belton, Texas
- Dr. Linda Schott, BA ’79, Southern Oregon University, Ashland, Ore.
- Dr. Myles Shelton, BA ’75, MS ’76, EDD ’94, Galveston College, Galveston, Texas
- Dr. Robert Sloan, BA ’70, Houston Baptist University, Houston
- Dr. Beck Taylor, BBA ’92, Whitworth College, Spokane, Wash.
- Dr. Gregory Williams, EDD ’96, Odessa College, Odessa, Texas
Sic ’em, Dr. O’Brien and Baylor presidents everywhere!
(Did we miss someone? Let us know!)
Changes/additions made after the original post:
- Dr. Thomas Hibbs, former Baylor Honors College dean, University of Dallas