• What ‘Baylor Family’ really means, in an alumna’s words

Around Baylor, we talk a lot about the “Baylor Family.” It’s probably the best thing about being involved with campus, whether as a student, parent, graduate, faculty/staff, or fan. It’s not exactly something that can easily be explained — but you know it when you see it.

Baylor alumna Hannah Box recently sent us a note that does a pretty good job summing up what it means to be #BaylorFamily:

“I spent the first 3 years of my college career as a Baylor Bear. I ended up meeting my husband and following a different path once we got married, getting my degree from another institution.

“I currently work in the housing department of another university where we just completed this year’s move in, triggering me to think back and reflect on my freshman year as a Baylor Bear. I’ve noticed a lot of universities advertise the concept of joining their ‘family;’ however, even with my experience at other universities, I’ve never experienced the genuine nature of this concept more than with Baylor. As a freshman Bear, I was so excited, nervous, and working to find my bearings. A few weeks into school, everything finally started feeling as though it were falling into place.

“In an instant, my family was hit with two unexpected tragedies. In a matter of a few days, we lost my sister and a very, very close family friend. My 18-year-old self’s world was turned upside down in a matter of minutes. Years have allowed the pain to diminish. However, time has only grown my appreciation and gratitude toward the Baylor Family as their response to me was a tremendous blessing. Not only did the university chaplain personally reach out to me and my family, but my then-Christian heritage professor, Dr. Carey Newman, took it upon himself to reach out to me and to my professors, to inform them of the events. Each professor reached out to me and extended such kindness, comfort and grace. I was not seen as just a student, but as a child of God who was in such pain and needed comfort.

“I’ve never seen a community like Baylor’s, nor have I ever experienced such genuine love. It would have been so easy for the professors or staff to just let me be and potentially fall through the cracks. Yet, that didn’t happen. I was able to not only get through such a tragic event but thrive during the rest of my years. Baylor is truly a blessing, and I am so glad I was able to be a part of its family tree.”

Sic ’em, Hannah!

[Do you know of an inspiring story, news item, or just a fun link that makes you proud of Baylor and the Baylor Family? Let us know! Click here to submit your point of pride!]