• #BearsOfBaylor — “I just wanted to help people.”

[For Community Leader Appreciation Week, we’re sharing thoughts from CLs across campus all week; today, a South Russell CL.]

“I just wanted to help people. Going through my freshman year and seeing my CL and all the ways he was able to incorporate every single guy on my hall and get everyone involved together and help everyone find their niche on campus, I was like, ‘That’s just amazing.’ He was very, very intentional and relational, so his door would be open almost 24/7 unless he was sleeping. He would just go through the hall on random days and knock on people’s doors like, ‘Hey, come hang out!’ and try to get a bunch of different groups of guys together who normally wouldn’t.

“I really want my guys to find their meaning and find their purpose, both at Baylor and in their lives, on a really small scale and a really broad scale. I can see so much potential in all of them. And when I talk to them, so many of them are strong in their faith and can achieve so much and get really good grades. But then sometimes they’ll just go and do something without thinking and I’m like, ‘Oh, why do you do that!’, or they just don’t really apply themselves. … So really being able to get everyone to realize their own potential and grow closer to God, live through God, and just exemplify their faith in everything they do every day. Then, even if they aren’t a Christian, getting them to realize all the things they can achieve that they don’t think they can achieve.”

#BearsOfBaylor

[Every Baylor Bear has a story; #BearsOfBaylor brings those stories to you, one by one. These stories, these people… This is our Baylor.]