• Baylor’s First in Line program wins national honor for serving first-gen students

Baylor First in Line team members

More than 2,000 Baylor students are the first in their family to attend college. Baylor’s “First in Line” program exists to help these Bears navigate all aspects of college — from academics to student life to finances and beyond.

Word of First in Line’s successes is getting out; the program was recently honored by NASPA, an international student affairs organization, with a 2024 Excellence Award for first-generation student success.

“To have First in Line recognized nationally is a proud accomplishment, not just for this office, but this institution,” says Michelle Gonzalez (BA ’12), First in Line program manager. “This award recognizes the hard work and commitment Baylor has put forth to support, empower and celebrate our first-generation students.”

First in Line offers first-generation college students a place to ask questions and find answers, connecting them with mentors through the Peer Leader program and with peers who understand the unique problems first-gen students face via the First in Line Student Society.

“When I got [to Baylor], the First in Line program engulfed me,” says recent graduate Brandon Nombrana (BS ’23). “It gave me the support structure that really made me feel like home, and it gave me the opportunities to succeed and grow as a student… I feel the extra support and extra structure that Baylor has for first-generation students.”

Sic ’em, first-gen Bears!