• Why Baylor law stands out

Baylor law studentI know we’ve written a lot about Baylor Law School recently, what with its students leading the state in bar exam pass rate and earning nods from The Princeton Review. But Texas Lawyer ran such a good article on Baylor law that I felt I had to mention it. The article examines why Baylor’s bar exam pass rate is so high year after year. Three quotes jumped out at me:

“Part of the genius of what Baylor is doing is requiring the students’ work ethic to be at an all-time high in their third year. There is no let up, no coasting — that momentum takes them into the bar review period, and it pays off.” — South Texas College of Law Dean James Alfini

“I have argued cases in front of the U.S. Supreme Court and the 5th Circuit, but I have never been as frightened as I was in Practice Court. After that, the bar exam was really pretty easy.” — former Texas governor and Baylor law grad Mark White

“The ethos at Baylor is that the professors are teachers first and scholars second. Their focus is on the teaching. The school is clear about its mission: that it is very student-centric.” — former University of Houston law dean Nancy Rapoport

But really, if you’re interested in Baylor law, read the whole article. Oh, and if you’re in the Houston area and interested in the life of Baylor law alum Leon Jaworski, check out a documentary of his life, Uncommon Law, airing this Wednesday at 8 p.m. on KUHT Channel 8.

Sic ’em, Baylor law!