This just in: Bears anchor local and national news across the country
The music swells, the graphics give way, the camera zooms in to the anchor desk, and the nightly news is on the air once again. And all across the country, there’s a decent chance it’s a Baylor alum reading you the news.
Richelle Carey, BA ’95, is perhaps the most well-known of Baylor news anchors. After seven years on HLN, she became one of the first anchors hired by Al Jazeera America. And while she is professional and unbiased when it comes to reporting the news, she holds nothing back in sharing her Baylor pride via her Twitter account.
On local newscasts from the Gulf Coast to the Great Plains, you’ll find alums flinging their green and gold as well. Scanning anchor biographies, it’s pretty common to read that an anchor “is a proud Baylor alum” or “cheers on her Baylor Bears.” These alums have become trusted voices in their communities on newscasts from morning to night.
- Bianca Castro, BA ’03, KXAS, Dallas/Fort Worth
- John Elizondo, BA ’12, KXXV, Waco
- Lauren Freeman, BA ’99, KPRC, Houston
- David George, BA ’84, KTUU, Anchorage, Alaska
- Ann Harder, BA ’75, KXXV, Waco
- Stephanie Hedrick, BA ’05, KOLN/KGIN, Lincoln/Grand Island, Neb.
- John Knicely, BA ’03, KIRO, Seattle
- Amanda Lanum, BA ’06, WIBW, Topeka, Kan.
- Lacie Lowry, BA ’04, KOTV, Tulsa, Okla.
- Jacqueline Ortiz, BA ’94, WOAI, San Antonio
- Lauren Przybyl, BA ’99, KDFW, Dallas/Fort Worth
- Meredith Stancik, BA ’03, KBTV, Bryan/College Station
- Jenny Toste, BA ’04, KGPE, Fresno, Calif.
- Garrett Turner, BBA ’09, KTUU, Anchorage, Alaska
- Melissa Wilson, BA ’93, KRIV, Houston
Baylor also boasts alums in weather, sports and behind the scenes, telling the stories that impact viewers, providing contacts for future Baylor newscasters, and even taking advantage of the banter between stories to slip in the occasional “Sic ’em, Bears!”
Sic ’em, Baylor news anchors!
[Did we miss someone? Let us know -- submit a Point of Pride here!]