Robert Griffin III would be the first to step forward and tell you that Baylor football isn’t just about one person. And while a ton of attention has been paid to RG3 following his Heisman win, that focus has overshadowed a number of other honors for both Griffin and his teammates. Here’s a rundown of some of the accolades Baylor has earned this year:
- Winner, Heisman Trophy, Davey O’Brien Award and AP National Player of the Year (RG3)
- Finalist, Manning Award, Walter Camp Award, Unitas Award & Wuerffel Trophy (RG3)
- Finalist, Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year Award (Art Briles)
- Semifinalist, Biletnikoff Award (Kendall Wright)
- Semifinalist, Maxwell Award (RG3)
- 2 AP All-Americans (RG3, 1st tm; Wright, 2nd tm)
- Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year (RG3)
- 4 All-Big 12 first team selections (Philip Blake, Terrance Ganaway, RG3, Wright)
- 13 All-Big 12 second team/honorable mention selections (Elliot Coffey, Ahmad Dixon, Tevin Elliott, Robert T. Griffin, Mike Hicks, Sam Holl, Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, K.J. Morton, Jordan Najvar, Tevin Reese, Cyril Richardson, Terrance Williams, Erik Wolfe)
- 1 Academic All-American (RG3)
- 10 Academic All-Big 12 selections (Thomas Draper, Ganaway, RG3, Jake Jackson, Cam Kaufhold, Najvar, Ben Parks, Matt Ritchey, Brody Trahan, Wolfe)
- 1 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team selection (RG3)
Of course, there’s one more title the Bears want to earn before the year is up: 2011 Valero Alamo Bowl winners. Baylor will get that chance Thursday at 8 p.m. in a game nationally televised on ESPN. That trophy would look good next to the Heisman in a display case in the new stadium on the Brazos, don’t you think?
Sic ’em, Baylor football!