• Baylor graduate a serious triathlete — at age 72

Bob HeinsUnless you consider YMCA sports as a kid, I’ve never been an athlete. So, more than most people, Dr. Bob Heins, BA ’61, puts me to shame.

A 72-year-old dentist in Plattsburgh, New York, Heins remains a serious competitive triathlete. In fact, he even began competing in Ironman events five years ago — at age 67. Heins, however, says it’s no big deal.

“There are better triathletes in my age group in Hawaii,” he told the Plattsburgh Press-Republican. “I don’t do well in the world championships. I came in fifth in the Unites States.”

In recent years, Heins has competed on behalf of the Blazeman Foundation for ALS, raising money for research on the disease. His efforts gained a little extra notoriety (and came to our attention) when Heins was featured in the March/April issue of AARP Magazine in a story on “Super Athletes.”

Sic ’em, Dr. Heins!

[6/21/11 update: Apparently Dr. Heins isn’t the only one! We also heard from David Turner, BA ’63, who is still running marathons at age 71. He writes, “I am still actively enjoying competitive running. Since I turned 70 in October 2009, I have run 55 races, winning my age group 54 times. I have run several half marathons,with a best time of 1:54:29. I strive to finish in the top 25% of the field. My reason for writing is not to toot my own horn, but to encourage everyone to get out there and do yourself a big favor. There is not enough space available to spell out all the personal benefits awaiting you.” Sic ’em, David!]