35 Baylor Bears now leading colleges and universities worldwide
Last week, Dr. Kathy Schwaig — a two-time Baylor graduate — was formally introduced as president of Kennesaw State University, joining an ever-growing number of Bears leading colleges and universities across the nation.
Schwaig (BBA ’84, MBA ’86), a Central Texas native, was the third of three sisters to attend Baylor, earning both her business degree and MBA from Baylor before going on to earn a second master’s from Johns Hopkins and her doctorate at South Carolina. She joined KSU’s business school faculty in 2002, eventually advancing to serve as business school dean (2012-19) and then provost (2019-21) before being named president earlier this year.
She joins a long list of Baylor Bears currently serving as top executives at colleges and universities nationwide (and even around the world):
- Dr. J. Blair Blackburn (EDD ’00), East Texas Baptist University, Marshall, Texas
- Eric Bruntmyer (JD ’94), Hardin-Simmons University, Abilene, Texas
- Dr. Scott Bullard (PhD ’09), Pfeiffer University, Misenheimer, N.C.
- Brad Carson (BA ’89), University of Tulsa, Tulsa, Okla.
- Dr. Gary Cook (BA ’72), Dallas Baptist University, Dallas
- Dr. Debbie Cottrell (BSED ’79), Texas Lutheran University, Seguin, Texas
- Dr. Barry Creamer (BA ’85), Criswell College, Dallas
- Dr. J. Bradley Creed (BA ’79), Campbell University, Buies Creek, N.C.
- Dr. Elizabeth Davis (BBA ’84), Furman University, Greenville, S.C.
- Harry Davros (JD ’94), Wade College, Dallas
- Dr. Donald Dowless (PhD ’89), Shorter University, Rome, Ga.
- Dr. Pamela Durso (BA ’83, PhD ’92), Central Baptist Theological Seminary, Shawnee, Kan.
- Dr. Ronald Ellis (MSEd ’81), California Baptist University, Riverside, Calif.
- Dr. Jaffus Hardrick (EDD ’02), Florida Memorial University, Miami Gardens, Fla.
- Dr. Mary Hensley (EDD ’89), Blinn College, Brenham, Texas
- Dr. Kao Kim Hourn (BA ’89), University of Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Dr. Brad Johnson (BSED ’93, EDD ’05), College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, Mo.
- Dr. Greg Jones (former Baylor provost), Belmont University, Nashville, Tenn.
- Dr. Amanda Lee (BA ’88, MA ’90), Bladen Community College, Dublin, N.C.
- Dr. D. Michael Lindsay (BA ’94), Taylor University, Upland, Ind.
- Dr. Linda Livingstone (former Baylor faculty member), Baylor University, Waco, Texas
- Dr. Diana Lovell (BSED ’89), Southwestern Oklahoma State University, Weatherford/Sayre, Okla.
- Dr. Steven Mason (BBA ’98), LeTourneau University, Longview, Texas
- Dr. Brian McCall (BA ’81), Texas State University System, Austin, Texas
- Dr. Harold Nolte (BS ’77, MSEd ’80), Dodge City Community College, Dodge City, Kan.
- Dr. Joseph Nyre (former Baylor faculty member), Seton Hall University, South Orange, N.J.
- Dr. Dub Oliver (BSEd ’87), Union University, Jackson, Tenn.
- Dr. Randy O’Rear (EDD ’04), University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Belton, Texas
- Dr. Kathy Schwaig (BBA ’84, MBA ’86), Kennesaw State University, Kennesaw, Ga.
- Dr. Myles Shelton (BA ’75, MS ’76, EDD ’94), Galveston College, Galveston, Texas
- Dr. Frank Shushok Jr. (BSED ’91), Roanoke College, Salem, Va.
- Dr. Robert Sloan (BA ’70), Houston Christian University, Houston
- Dr. Beck Taylor (BBA ’92), Samford University, Birmingham, Ala.
- Dr. Sinda Vanderpool (longtime BU professor and administrator), St. Mary’s University, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Dr. Gregory Williams (EDD ’96), Odessa College, Odessa, Texas
Sic ’em, Baylor presidents and chancellors!
(Have we missed someone? Let us know!)
Changes/additions made after the original post:
- Dr. Linda Schott (BA ’79), interim president, Texas A&M-San Antonio, San Antonio