Three Baylor teams — MBB, WBB and A&T — are ranked No. 1 in the nation right now
“Baylor is ranked No. 1 in the nation!”
These days, it’s hard to know which Baylor team a person is talking about:
- Men’s basketball, which is now ranked No. 1 in both the AP Top 25 and the USA Today Coaches Poll?
- Women’s basketball, which holds the No. 1 spot in the USA Today Coaches poll (and is still the defending national champion)?
- Or acrobatics & tumbling, which is No. 1 in the NCATA Preseason Poll (and has won the last five national titles)?
And these might not be the only Baylor teams to reach No. 1 this year; three other programs are also in the top 10 nationally:
- Volleyball, which spent eight weeks at No. 1 this past fall before finishing the season at No. 3;
- Men’s tennis, at No. 5;
- Men’s track & field, at No. 8; and
- Equestrian, at No. 9.
Based solely on the strength of football and volleyball, Baylor finished the fall ranked 35th nationally (second in the Big 12) in the Learfield IMG College Directors Cup standings. Given the success Baylor basketball, tennis and track are having so far this season, plus expectations for baseball and softball later this spring, we could be looking at one of the best overall athletic performances Baylor has ever seen — yes, maybe even better than the Year of the Bear.
Sic ’em, Bears!