Longtime Baylor Honors dean named president of University of Dallas
Today, longtime Baylor professor and Honors College dean Thomas Hibbs embarks on a new journey at a familiar place, as he begins his first day in his new role as president of the University of Dallas, a Catholic liberal arts university just up I-35 (and Dr. Hibbs’ alma mater).
Hibbs, who received both his bachelor’s and master’s degrees at the University of Dallas, came to Baylor in 2003 as the first dean of Baylor’s Honors College, which today includes the Honors Program, University Scholars, Baylor Interdisciplinary Core (BIC) and Great Texts. During his tenure, the Honors College has grown to include more than 1,300 students and 35 full-time faculty.
Over the last 15 years, Hibbs also has helped organize study abroad programs around the globe, served as director of Baylor programs in Washington, D.C., and authored three books. His teaching duties included a unique class on friendship, which he co-taught with his wife, Dr. Stacey Hibbs, a longtime BIC lecturer.
Even as the Hibbs family moves to Dallas, its members will retain close ties to Baylor, as each of the Hibbs’ children are Baylor Bears. Lauren (BA ’16) and Daniel (BA ’18) Hibbs are both Baylor graduates, and Sara Hibbs is heading into her senior year at BU as an international studies major.
Dr. Hibbs is joining a long list of Baylor Bears who serve as top executives at colleges and universities nationwide and even around the world:
- Dr. J. Blair Blackburn, EDD ’00, East Texas Baptist University, Marshall, Texas
- Eric Bruntmyer, JD ’94, Hardin-Simmons University, Abilene, Texas
- Dr. Scott Bullard, PhD ’09, Pfeiffer University, Misenheimer, N.C.
- Dr. Gary Cook, BA ’72, Dallas Baptist University, Dallas
- Dr. Debbie Cottrell, BSED ’79, Texas Lutheran University, Seguin, Texas
- Dr. Barry Creamer, BA ’85, Criswell College, Dallas
- Dr. J. Bradley Creed, BA ’79, Campbell University, Buies Creek, N.C.
- Dr. Steve Currall, BA ’82, University of South Florida, Tampa, Fla.
- Dr. Elizabeth Davis, BBA ’84, Furman University, Greenville, S.C.
- Harry Davros, JD ’94, Wade College, Dallas
- Dr. Donald Dowless, PhD ’89, Shorter University, Rome, Ga.
- Dr. Ronald Ellis, MSEd ’81, California Baptist University, Riverside, Calif.
- Dr. Jaffus Hardrick, EDD ’02, Florida Memorial University, Miami Gardens, Fla.
- Dr. Mary Hensley, EDD ’89, Blinn College, Brenham, Texas
- Dr. Kao Kim Hourn, BA ’89, University of Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Dr. Amanda Lee, BA ’88, MA ’90, Bladen Community College, Dublin, N.C.
- Dr. D. Michael Lindsay, BA ’94, Gordon College, Wenham, Mass.
- Dr. Brian McCall, BA ’81, Texas State University System, Austin, Texas
- Dr. Harold Nolte, BS ’77, MSEd ’80, Dodge City Community College, Dodge City, Kan.
- Dr. Dub Oliver, BSEd ’87, Union University, Jackson, Tenn.
- Dr. Randy O’Rear, EDD ’04, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Belton, Texas
- Dr. Linda Schott, BA ’79, Southern Oregon University, Ashland, Ore.
- Dr. Myles Shelton, BA ’75, MS ’76, EDD ’94, Galveston College, Galveston, Texas
- Dr. Robert Sloan, BA ’70, Houston Baptist University, Houston
- Dr. Beck Taylor, BBA ’92, Whitworth College, Spokane, Wash.
- Dr. Gregory Williams, EDD ’96, Odessa College, Odessa, Texas
Sic ’em, Dr. Hibbs and Baylor presidents everywhere!
(Did we miss someone? Let us know!)
Changes/additions made after the original post:
- Dr. Joseph Nyre, former Baylor faculty member, Seton Hall University, South Orange, N.J.