Baylor is going bowling! But where?
Almost from the moment last year’s 1-11 season ended, Baylor football head coach Matt Rhule began assuring all those who would listen that Baylor would make a bowl game this season.
On Saturday, the Bears made Rhule’s promise a reality. A 35-24 win over Texas Tech gave Baylor its sixth win of the season, making the Bears bowl-eligible. Now, the question is — Where is Baylor headed, and who might the Bears face?
- ESPN has the Bears either in Memphis’ AutoZone Liberty Bowl (vs. South Carolina) or Houston’s Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl (vs. Auburn).
- NBC Sports combines those two predictions, projecting BU to face Auburn in the Liberty Bowl.
- Sports Illustrated says Baylor is headed to the Texas Bowl — and predicts a reunion with former longtime rival Texas A&M.
- SB Nation sees the Bears staying even closer to home for the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth (where they could face Army).
- Bleacher Report also sees Baylor playing in the Armed Forces Bowl — and predicts a reunion with Rhule’s former team, the Temple Owls.
- CBS Sports sends the Bears west to face San Diego State in the Cheez-It Bowl (formerly known as the Cactus Bowl, where Baylor beat Boise State two years ago).
In summary, that’s two votes for the Liberty Bowl, two for the Texas Bowl, two for the Armed Forces Bowl, and one for the Cheez-It Bowl.
Which prediction (if any) will prove correct? We’ll find out on Sunday, when bowl announcements are made. In the meantime, Baylor fans can go ahead and lock in their tickets for any/all of the Bears’ potential destinations; Bear Foundation priority options began this morning, and all fans can purchase tickets starting Tuesday at 8 a.m.
Sic ’em, Bears!