For the first time in nearly 50 years, a Baylor student-athlete will finish in the top five in the Heisman Trophy race — and if projections hold true, he actually may come out on top.
Robert Griffin III was officially named one of five finalists for the award Monday night, joining Wisconsin running back Montee Ball, Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu and Alabama running back Trent Richardson as finalists for the 77th annual Heisman Memorial Trophy Award. The winner will be announced live on ESPN Saturday night.
Only twice before in the Heisman’s 75-year history has a Baylor player significantly factored in the balloting. Quarterback Larry Isbell finished seventh in 1951, and quarterback Don Trull finished fourth in 1963. (Trull placed ahead of Dick Butkus that year, but lost the award to Roger Staubach.)
By now, you probably know RG3′s resume. He’s passed for a school-record 3,998 yards and 36 touchdowns with just six interceptions, and leads the nation with a 192.31 passing efficiency that is on pace to shatter the NCAA record. He has also rushed for 644 yards and nine touchdowns, making him the nation’s leader in points responsibility with 22.67 per game. In all, his efforts have helped lead Baylor to a No. 12 national ranking and the program’s first nine-win season since 1986. (For additional accomplishments and honors, plus highlight videos and more, check out BU-RG3.com.)
In addition to BaylorBears.com’s video above, here are some more interesting links:
- HeismanPundit.com has accurately named the winner each of the last four years; they predict RG3 will win in 2011.
- StiffArmTrophy.com has correctly projected nine of the last 10 winners; they are continuing to collect ballots that have been reported publicly, but as of this morning, they too pegged RG3 to win.
- ESPN’s panel of experts also picked RG3 as the 2011 winner; Griffin was interviewed on SportsCenter after the finalist announcement.
- KWTX-TV sat down last night for interviews with both Griffin and his fiance, as well as Griffin’s parents.
- Cast your vote for Sports Illustrated’s “People’s Heisman” here, then help RG3 win his fifth National Player of the Week honor here.
Sic ’em, RG3!