• Making the Leap: Students share how Baylor’s Career Center helped them find ‘what’s next’

Portraits of Madeline Ahrens, Landry Stavenhagen & Michelle Tasaki

A Baylor education stands out on job or grad school applications, and when those degrees are paired with an excellent cover letter, a dynamite interview and a relevant resume — well, that’s a hard combination to beat.

Many BU graduates credit Baylor’s Career Center with the assist for helping them put that best foot forward. Here are three Bears — one headed into the workforce, one headed to grad school, and one headed for a summer internship — speaking about their Career Center experience:

Madeline Ahrens (BS ’23 — health science studies), heading to Medical University of South Carolina to study genetics:

“The Career Center was so helpful in preparing and applying to graduate school. I met with my career success professional numerous, Alex Stucky, numerous times, and she was amazing! She helped me adjust each personal statement, supplemental essays, and my CV for each graduate school. The Career Center was very responsive and helped me make all aspects of my application the best that they could be. I also did a mock interview, which was very helpful in practicing my answers to questions and getting a feel for what the interview process would be like. I don’t know what I would have done without their help!”

Landry Stavenhagen (BA ’23 — corporate communications), who’s joining Academy Sports & Outdoors’ corporate headquarters as an assistant buyer:

“I originally didn’t have an idea about how to go about the job search. Taking the class offered by the Career Center — I had Amy Rylander’s PRD 2101 class — gave me a lot of guidance. I attended Academy Day hosted by the Career Center and had an interview the next day. That interview led to an invite to Academy’s headquarters in Katy, Texas. There, I participated in an executive mixer, and then two more interviews the next morning. I excelled in the interviews using Ms. Rylander’s guidance and her class’s instruction on the interview process, and I was able to obtain a job offer as an assistant buyer in Academy’s Executive Trainee program.”

Michelle Tasaki (rising senior — public health), who has accepted an internship this summer with U.S. Representative Jill Tokuda of Hawaii:

“I reached out to the Career Center because I needed guidance on my resume and cover letter. They helped me use strong language with measurable results to strengthen my resume and cover letter. I learned how to demonstrate my skills through specific examples, both in applications and interviews. In my internship, I will be working on Capitol Hill with a variety of responsibilities, such as answering calls from constituents, leading Capitol tours, researching legislation, attending hearings and briefings, completing administrative tasks, and taking on projects of interest. The Career Center was there from start to finish.”

From job fairs to career counseling, resume writing to mock interview prep, and individual counseling to for-credit classes, Baylor’s Career Center provides resources to help students with each step of the application process. What’s the best way for current Baylor students to get connected? Find your career success professional and contact them to get started!

Sic ’em, Baylor Career Center!