Lady Bears win 11th straight (!!!!!) Big 12 title
It appears there are now three great certainties in life: death, taxes, and Baylor women’s basketball winning the Big 12.
Yes, the Lady Bears won their 11th straight regular season Big 12 title this week, extending their decade of dominance over the league. The run is the longest active streak in the nation, and the fifth longest in NCAA women’s basketball history:
- 20 — Green Bay (1999-2018, Horizon)
- 15 — Louisiana Tech (2003-2017, Sun Belt/WAC)
- 14 — Stanford (2001-2014, Pac-12)
- 12 — Old Dominion (1993-2004, CAA)
- 11 — Baylor (2011-present, Big 12) (tied with 5 others)
Overall, this is the 12th regular season title for head coach Kim Mulkey’s squad — meaning the Lady Bears have won the league for nearly half of the Big 12 Conference’s 25-year history. Add in Baylor’s 10 conference tournament titles, and it’s hard to imagine another program dominating its league in such a complete fashion for such an extended period.
Sic ’em, Lady Bears!