The summer scoop on ice cream in Waco
Summer is in full swing — and with it, Texas’ notorious heat. One great way to beat that heat: a sweet treat like ice cream.
Whether you’re a new Baylor student, an upperclassman returning to campus this fall, or a Baylor alum planning your next visit back, you might want to check out these Waco ice cream shops:
* Heritage Creamery — From the owners of Common Grounds, this boutique ice cream shop — located just across Eighth Street from campus — features high quality ingredients and local sourcing for an absolutely delicious (and unique) scoop.
* Hey Sugar — This bright-colored candy store on Austin Avenue features a variety of sweet treats, but the owners pride themselves on their old-fashioned ice cream. Grab a scoop and take a picture by the mural outside their shop.
* Katie’s Frozen Custard — Since 2002, Katie’s has been the Waco staple for frozen custard. Known for their specialty cyclones, Katie’s custard is sure to cool you down on a hot summer day.
* Rollos Rolled Ice Cream — From the creators of Poppa Rollo’s Pizza, Rollos Rolled Ice Cream serves unique Thai-style ice cream — flattened in front of you on a freezing cold pan (15° below zero!) and hand-rolled into a delicious treat.
* Dr Pepper Museum — When school is out for the summer, Baylor students and employees miss their Dr Pepper floats. Let us not forget these Baylor classics are also served up year-round in downtown Waco at our very own Dr Pepper Museum.
* Health Camp — A true Waco staple since the ’50s, Health Camp’s shakes and malts are a creamy summer favorite. With an overwhelming list of flavors to mix and choose from, you can’t go wrong with this treat.
* Pokey-O’s — Evolving from a food truck to its own permanent location just down the street from campus, Pokey O’s mixes fresh-baked cookies with ice cream to create the perfect ice cream sandwich.
Sic ’em, ice cream lovers!