10 campus activities for the active Baylor Bear
Whatever your preferred method of working out, Baylor likely has something for you. From hitting the gym to playing sports, from swimming to rock climbing, Baylor’s Campus Rec department provides countless opportunities to get and stay fit.
Here are 10 of the most popular campus activities for the active Baylor Bear:
1. Indoor facilities — If working out is your activity of choice, Baylor offers amazing facilities through the McLane Student Life Center (SLC), Russell Gymnasium, and Marrs McLean Gym. These facilities provide students with access to top-notch exercise equipment, basketball and racquetball courts, indoor and sand volleyball courts, an indoor track, and an indoor pool.
2. Fields of all kinds — For those who love taking advantage of wide open spaces to throw a football or kick a soccer ball, Baylor’s campus includes plenty of fields perfect for sports of all types. Minglewood Bowl, the BSB fields, Bear Park, and Edgefield were all designed with students in mind.
3. Rock wall — The ROCK is Baylor’s 53-foot, free-standing rock-climbing structure, located in the SLC. The ROCK offers more than 30 top-rope climbs ranging in difficulty from 5.5 to 5.13 for the beginner, intermediate and advanced climber.
4. Marina — The Pullin Family Marina offers students free use of kayaks, canoes, paddleboards and more for use on the beautiful Brazos River. The marina is also home to a bicycle maintenance shop, where users can learn how to make basic repairs to their bikes, as well as a sand volleyball court and a large grassy area to lay out and relax.
5. Bear Trail — The Bear Trail is a 2.25-mile outdoor trail circling Baylor’s beautiful campus. Winding along the perimeter of campus, runners and walkers can experience the joy of exercising outdoors without having to leave campus.
6. Tennis courts — The McLean Tennis Courts are a great spot for recreational and competitive tennis enthusiasts alike! Just across the street from the Bill Daniel Student Center, the courts have open recreation hours every day of the week.
7. Intramural sports — Baylor’s intramural sports program — one of the most active in the nation — strives to allow students to engage in healthy competition while developing character and maintaining integrity and sportsmanship. A wide variety of leagues are offered, including flag football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, softball, golf, dodgeball, even bowling!
8. Club sports — For those who want more of a challenge than intramurals but aren’t quite looking for the varsity experience, Baylor offers 26 club sports where students can learn new skills and enjoy competition in a recreational and social setting.
9. Challenge Course — Did you know that Baylor has a ropes course just up the road from campus? The Eastland Lakes Challenge Course is utilized by groups of all kinds to assist in developing teamwork and friendship while facilitating individual growth and self-confidence.
10. Outdoor Adventure — With Baylor’s Outdoor Adventure club, students have the opportunity to experience trips to places like the Grand Canyon and Joshua Tree National Park as well as workshops and clinics on subjects like rock climbing and bouldering. Students can even check out or rent sports equipment and outdoor gear for their own outings.
Sic ’em, active Bears!