• Bears in Boise boldly back Baylor vs. Broncos

The Watts family

Just after Christmas, Baylor football will face the Boise State Broncos in the 2016 Cactus Bowl. As you might know, Boise State is located in Boise, Idaho, and is both the state’s capital and its largest city, with some 210,000 residents. The vast majority of those will naturally be wearing Boise State colors on Dec. 27 — but not John and Michelle Watts and their family.

“I’m a green-and-gold girl living and working in a blue-and-orange world,” says Michelle, a 1998 Baylor business graduate. She and John, BBA ’97, have lived in Boise for the last 10 years. “We proudly fly our Baylor flag, and my girls wear Baylor shirts and jackets during the season.”

Even in her job as an adjunct professor of accounting at Boise State, Michelle finds ways to sneak in a little Baylor pride. For instance, the textbook she teaches from was written by longtime Baylor accounting professor Bill Thomas, BBA ’69, MBA ’71. “I like to joke with my students about Baylor,” she says. “The first class after the Cactus Bowl announcement, one student said, ‘Hey, we’re playing your beloved Baylor Bears!”

The Watts family won’t be watching the game from Phoenix or Boise; John is in Taiwan on business, while Michelle will be watching with her family in Oregon. But they look forward to talking up their Bears with friends back in Boise after the game — and win or lose, Michelle, says, “I’ll always wear my Baylor gear, because I’m BaylorProud!”

Sic ’em, Watts family!

[We learned of this story from a Bear who shared her Baylor pride. Do you know of an inspiring story, news item, or just a fun link that makes you proud of Baylor and the Baylor family? Let us know! Click here to submit your point of pride!]