• Five Bears headed abroad thanks to Fulbright programs

Baylor Fulbrights

We all know Baylor students are smarter than your average bear (or college student). The Fulbright U.S. Student Program seems to agree, too, based on how many awards it gave Baylor students and recent graduates this summer. Meet five of Baylor’s best:

Bailey Green, BA ‘15, double majored in international studies and Russian. She received the Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship and is spending this academic year teaching English in Russia, where she previously spent a semester abroad.

“I decided to apply for the Fulbright because I wanted to go back to Russia and work on my Russian language,” says Green. “I was a Russian major, but I knew after my summer of study there that I needed more practice. Furthermore, I loved the people that I met in Russia, and I want to learn more about Russian culture. After the Fulbright program, I hope to attend law school in D.C. and earn a degree in international law.”

Jake Surges, BA ’15, graduated in May as a University Scholar and Crane Scholar. During his time at Baylor, he was a member of the American Medical Student Association, Baylor Religious Hour Choir, and China Aid Association. He also received the Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship and will spend this academic year teaching English in Taiwan.

“I’ve been interested in Asia for a number of years now, China in particular,” he says. “The funny thing is that I cannot explain my interest. I simply find East Asian culture intriguing.” As someone who studied both biology and Christian theology as a University Scholar, Jake isn’t limited to a single academic area; after teaching, he says he’s considering either staying in China or attending law school.

Rebecca McHenney, BS ’15, is teaching English in Mexico this year, also thanks to the Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship. She has a passion for teaching that stems from her experiences tutoring kids in a rough Chicago neighborhood during high school, where there is a large population of Spanish-speaking students.

“I wanted to help give kids the same opportunities that I had growing up, and before I knew it, a dream of becoming a math teacher in Chicago had lodged itself in my heart,” she says. “When I found out that Fulbright not only offered a grant to live abroad for a year, but that there was a specific grant related to teaching, I knew I had to apply!”

Syd Linnell, BA ’15, a University Scholar with a concentration in neuroscience, received the Fulbright award in neuroscience and will spend the year earning her master’s in neuropsychology at the University of Maastricht in the Netherlands.

“I came [to Baylor] for the people. I have formed priceless relationships with faculty and friends while at Baylor; no other place could have offered the same quality and richness of a community,” she explains. “My major had the most fantastic set of faculty. They really made my experience at Baylor, and I will always feel an immense sense of gratitude toward them.” After earning her master’s, she plans to pursue either a Ph.D. in neuropsychology or a law degree.

Tim Campbell, a Baylor junior studying philosophy, political science and religion, received a different, but equally competitive award: the Fulbright U.S.-U.K. Scotland Summer Institute award.

“I was looking for an international experience, and this program seemed like the perfect fit,” he says. “I wanted a program that would help make me a competitive applicant for future graduate school scholarships and fellowships, [and] I was looking for an opportunity to study in a group alongside talented and motivated students. The Fulbright-Scotland Summer Institute satisfied all of these conditions, and I’m very glad I decided to apply!” Campbell is completing the Honors program and serves on the editorial board of The Pulse, Baylor’s undergraduate academic journal, and plans to attend graduate or law school after graduation.

Sic ’em, Fulbright award recipients!