• Success starts here

successcenter.jpg

Last week I took a tour of the new Paul L. Foster Success Center following its dedication. If I hadn’t known I was walking into the old Sid Richardson building, I would never have believed that this was the same place where I fought my way through so many math and science classes just a few years ago.

The basement (which previously housed the Strecker Museum) and first floor have been completely renovated, creating space to bring together various academic agencies that previously were scattered across campus. Now under one roof are Academic Advisement, Academic Support, the Office of Access and Learning Accomodation, Career Counseling, and Career Services.

Success Center administrators say that response to the new center has been overwhelming. Moving all of these services into one place in the heart of campus has resulted in an exponential increase in student drop-ins, faculty referrals, testing services and tutoring assignments. Now if students come in with a question, they need only to be directed across the hall instead of across campus to get the help they need.

Creating the Success Center was one of the key parts of Baylor 2012’s first imperative: “Establish an environment where learning can flourish.” If early returns are any indication, we’re well on our way.

Sic ’em, Success Center!