• #BearsOfBaylor — “I would also love to be the President of the United States one day.”

“My family’s from Mexico, so coming here to the United States was really hard for them. It was a difficult transition, mostly because in Mexico you weren’t encouraged to go to school, especially in the ’50s, ’60s, ’70s. You had to work and get money to provide for your family.

“My parents went to college, but only for a few years. None of them finished. My dad has 10 brothers and sisters, and none of them finished college, either. On my mom’s side, she has three brothers and herself, and they did not finish, either. I have a lot of cousins who are currently in college right now, but the older generation, they didn’t get the opportunity to.

“[But my parents] never, ever gave me the option to NOT go to college. College was always, always the number one goal. … My mom always tells me I’m doing things she dreamt of doing. That really touches my heart, because her watching me grow and be the person that she wants me to be, to me, feels really good. I know I’m living something she wanted to, but is happy that I’m able to do it.

“Baylor’s definitely where I wanted to go; it’s always been where I wanted to go, [because of] the community. People here are amazing. I’ve met so many great, great people. I love it here. … Getting the TEG grant meant college for me. Really, it did. I come from a family that does not have a lot of money. We’re not poor, but we’re not rich. … Getting the grant was definitely a huge, huge help for my family and me. It really did mean I could go to school.

“I want to be a lawyer. I’m not sure what type yet. I looked into criminal defense a bit, it’s a little scary. I would also love to be the President of the United States one day. I know that’s a big, big dream, but yes, that’s what I want to do with my life. I want to make a difference.”

#BearsOfBaylor

[Every Baylor Bear has a story; #BearsOfBaylor brings those stories to you, one by one. These stories, these people… This is our Baylor.]