• Incoming freshman’s excitement leads to meeting with Baylor President

Earlier this fall, you may have seen this short video posted to social media by the mother of a San Antonio high school student, Julianna Comstock, who had just learned of her acceptance to Baylor:

We retweeted her original tweet from @BaylorProud, and Baylor Admissions also shared the video on their Instagram account. The clip made it to President David Garland’s office, where it was even shared in a meeting with his Executive Council. Dr. Garland was impressed enough that he invited Julianna and her family to stop by in person the next time they visited campus, and last week, that visit took place (leading to the photo below).

Julianna Comstock and Baylor President David Garland

“When I saw Julianna’s video, her enthusiasm was just so contagious that I wanted to meet her and her family,” says Dr. Garland. “It was a pleasure to meet them in person.”

At their meeting, Julianna shared with Dr. Garland the circumstances leading up to the video.

“I had seen on Instagram that someone else got accepted, and I just figured I’d check my GoBaylor account, just for fun,” Julianna explains. “I saw it, and I just started to scream and jump up and down. My mom had no idea what was going on. I called my dad and told him, and I couldn’t believe I actually said that — that I was accepted into Baylor!

“I first came to Baylor for choir camp going into my junior year… As I went through the camp, the faculty is what really drew me in — how charismatic they were, and how compassionate, even just teaching high school kids. I was like, ‘Wow,’ and I wondered what it would be like to learn and get my education from them. … And then the students are just so open and warm. It’s just home.”

Sic ’em, Julianna (and the Class of 2021)!