• Senior class elects this year’s Collins Outstanding Professor

dr-choucair2.jpgWhen I heard that Dr. Mona Choucair won this year’s Collins Outstanding Professor Award, I was both overjoyed and completely unsurprised. For the senior lecturer with dual appointments in the English Department and the School of Education, it was only a matter of time.

Dr. Choucair (BA ’86, PhD ’00) is the epitome of what it means to be a Baylor professor: knowledgeable, professional, a great communicator, a superior listener. Every semester, students fight tooth and nail to get into her classes. She brings dynamic energy to the classroom, starting off almost every period by asking students about their other classes and often offering a timely pep talk. And though Dr. Choucair’s classes are challenging, her fairness and consistency is remarkable. She inspires her students to work hard every single day. I should know; I was one of them (and I didn’t even make an A).

Above all, Dr. Choucair cares deeply about her students, whether that means helping them with schoolwork, sharing meals, writing recommendation letters, or just talking with them about life. She welcomes all visitors, and on most days, a line waits outside her office door. As busy as she is, Dr. Choucair always makes time for one more.

I have often been the “one more” Dr. Choucair made time for. She is a big reason I switched my major to English after taking her American Literature course. She even helped me locate a home, find the right graduate school and land three jobs! Baylor is extremely blessed to have more than our fair share of people like Dr.  Choucair who literally change the direction of our lives. May we always remember how fortunate we are to be surrounded by professors who devote themselves to the students of this university. Track down those favorite professors of yours and let them know how much you appreciate them. Professors like these make me proud to be part of the Baylor family.

Sic ’em, class of ’08, for making an excellent choice, and Sic ’em, Dr. Choucair!