• U.S. Ambassador to Kuwait — and a Baylor grad

U.S. Ambassador to Kuwait Douglas Silliman (right)

Douglas Silliman, BA ’82, is approaching the one-year anniversary of his arrival in Kuwait City as the United States ambassador to Kuwait. But this is far from the first time he has flung his green and gold afar.

After graduating from Baylor in 1982 with a degree in political science, Silliman (pictured above right) earned his master’s in international relations from George Washington University in Washington, D.C. He then joined the Department of State and has spent the last three decades in such places as Haiti, Iraq, Jordan, Pakistan, Tunisia and Turkey.

At Baylor, Silliman was a member of several honor societies (including Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Eta Sigma, Gamma Beta Phi and Pi Sigma Alpha) as well as the Baylor Foreign Affairs Association and the service club Circle K.

“I think what I will remember most about Baylor are the professors…” he told the 1982 Round Up. “These men and women stimulated in me the search for knowledge that will last long after I have left Baylor.”

Sic ’em, Ambassador Silliman!