• Indy 500 winner part of Baylor alum’s driving team

Eric Labao, Tony Kanaan and James "Sulli" Sullivan

Thousands cheered as Tony Kanaan claimed the checkered flag at the Indy 500 over Memorial Day weekend, but few were more excited than Baylor alum James “Sulli” Sullivan, BBA ’03. That’s because Kanaan was driving for Sullivan’s team, SH Racing, which partnered in sponsoring the winning Hydroxycut KV Racing Technology-SH Racing No. 11 Chevrolet.

Sullivan and a friend founded SH Racing in 2010. With Kanaan at the wheel and partnering with KV Racing, the team’s first Indy 500 entry finished eighth in 2011 before winning the race this year.

“I graduated from Baylor University 10 years ago this month and attended my first Indianapolis 500,” Sullivan says. “I left the race that day with a dream to chase and capture. I will always say most great things in my life I can track back to doors opened through Baylor: my closest friends, my businesses, my wife.  It was because of a fraternity brother that I was invited to attend my first Indy 500. On that day 10 years ago, the door was unlocked for me, and I suppose on Sunday, I walked through it.”

Sic ’em, SH Racing!

(pictured above, left to right: Eric Labao, BA ’01, SH Racing’s partnership relations director; 2013 Indy 500 winner Tony Kanaan; and SH Racing Principal James “Sulli” Sullivan, BBA ’03)