Across all 23 sports, in the history of the Big 12 Conference, just four teams have managed to sweep both the regular season and tournament conference titles three years running. Three of those four are from Baylor.
Baylor women’s basketball became the latest team to accomplish the feat, beating Iowa State Monday night to win the 2013 Big 12 tournament, the program’s fifth postseason conference title.
For those keeping track, here’s what head coach Kim Mulkey’s resume now looks like:
- 5 national titles (two as a player, one as an assistant coach, two as Baylor’s head coach)
- 5-time Big 12 coach of the year
- 14 Final Fours (four as player, seven as assistant, three at Baylor)
- 24 Sweet 16s (four as player, 13 as assistant, seven at Baylor)
- 9 Big 12 championships (four regular season, five tournament)
I could go on, but I think you get the idea. We’re blessed to have one of the best here at Baylor.
The Lady Bears now have to wait until Monday night (6 p.m. CT, ESPN) to learn what their NCAA tournament bracket will look like. This we do know: Baylor University will host the first and second rounds in Waco March 24-26; tickets are available now.
Sic ’em, Lady Bears!
[In case you were wondering, the four teams to sweep both Big 12 titles three straight years: Texas women's tennis (1997-98-99-00), Baylor men's tennis (2002-03-04-05), Baylor women's tennis (2008-09-10-11) and Baylor women's basketball (2011-12-13).]