As part of Homecoming, Baylor’s Reunion Honor Classes – those who graduated in 1967, ’72, ’77, ’82, ’87, ’92, ’97, ’02 and ’07 — are invited to a buffet reception Friday night.
Let’s take a look back at what members of each of those classes might remember from their senior years at Baylor. For instance:
- The Class of 1967 saw construction begin on Moody Memorial Library (pictured above) and rooted on fellow Bear John Hill Westbrook as the first African-American player in Southwest Conference football history.
- The Class of 1972 welcomed Grant Teaff to campus for the first time and was entertained by on-campus performances from the likes of Elton John and John Denver.
- The Class of 1977 were around for the dedication of the Steven Hudson Memorial Bear Plaza (the old bear pit) and watched as the towers on Old Main and Burleson were rebuilt after having been destroyed by the 1953 tornado.
- The Class of 1982 commemorated the inauguration of President Herbert Reynolds and cheered on all-time Baylor athletic greats Walter Abercrombie and Terry Teagle.
- The Class of 1987 celebrated the university’s 100th year in Waco, heard Secretary of State Henry Kissinger speak on campus, and saw a freshman named Michael Johnson join the track team.
- The Class of 1992 helped launch the university’s first recycling program, saw construction begin on the Glennis McCrary Music Building and took advantage of the newly opened Jesse H. Jones Library.
- The Class of 1997 was able to register for class by phone(!) for the first time, welcomed the Olympic Torch to campus in advance of the Atlanta Games, and used the first email stations in the SUB.
- The Class of 2002 launched the now-annual Gold Rush t-shirt campaign, participated in the first Bearathon, and anticipated the launch of the Baylor 2012 vision.
- The Class of 2007 were entertained by Switchfoot at the BYX Island Party and saw BU make front-page news with the release of the first Baylor Religion Survey.
What stands out from your senior year at Baylor?
Sic ’em, Reunion Honor Classes!