Baylor football’s leading passer, receiver and running back from 2011 will all be playing on Sundays this fall — Robert Griffin III, BA ’10, with the Redskins, Kendall Wright with the Titans and Terrance Ganaway, BSED ’10, with the Jets.
But don’t assume the cupboard is now bare in Waco; far from it. Take a look at some of the Bears already being eyed for national awards and conference honors in 2012:
- Senior quarterback Nick Florence is one of 29 preseason picks for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award watch list, recognizing the nation’s best QBs.
- Senior running back Jarred Salubi was one of 52 candidates for the Doak Walker Award, presented annually to the top collegiate running back.
- Senior wide receiver Terrance Williams (pictured) is on the 65-man watch list for the Maxwell Award, honoring the nation’s top collegiate football player, and the 49-player Biletnikoff Award watch list, honoring the top receiver.
- Junior wide receiver Tevin Reese is also on the Biletnikoff list, making Baylor one of just six teams with multiple honorees.
- Junior tight end Jordan Najvar is among 33 student-athletes on the preseason watch list for the John Mackey Award, which recognizes the top collegiate tight end.
- Junior offensive lineman Cyril Richardson is one of 71 players being considered for the Outland Trophy, which is awarded to the best interior lineman in college football, and was also named to the watch list for the Rotary Lombardi Award, honoring the top lineman or linebacker.
- Najvar and Richardson were both named to the preseason All-Big 12 Football Team selected by the media. (Interestingly, Baylor had zero representatives on this team last year.)
Come cheer on Florence, Salubi, Williams, Reese, Najvar, Richardson and the rest of the Bears at a community-wide Traditions Rally this Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Floyd Casey Stadium. The free event is open to the public and will feature a pep rally, concert by country artist Cory Morrow and fireworks.
Then come back Sunday for the 2012 season opener vs. SMU; kickoff is scheduled for 5:30 p.m., and the game will be televised on FSN. Got your tickets yet?
Sic ’em, Baylor football!
[Updated 8/28/12 to add Florence and the Unitas Award.]