Members of the Baylor family make significant contributions all over the world, in a wide variety of ways. From the arts to business, pro sports to politics, you can find Bears leading the way.
Below are just a few such examples, the recipients of Baylor’s 2011-12 Meritorious Achievement Awards. This year’s group includes some folks you’ve read about on Baylor Proud before – Michael Lindsay, Max Lucado and Gary Keller, for example — and others who are being recognized here for the first time. (Click on each honoree’s name to learn more in features from the latest issue of Baylor Magazine.)
* Alumnus of the Year: Bob Brewton, BBA ’74, founder of the Baylor Angel Network and a University-appointed trustee for Baylor College of Medicine.
* Young Alumnus of the Year: Michael Lindsay, BA ’94, a Pulitzer-nominated author inaugurated in July as the eighth president of Gordon College.
* Pro Ecclesia Medal of Service: Max Lucado, best-selling author and minister of preaching at Oak Hills Church in San Antonio.
* Pro Texana Medal of Service: Mark White, BBA ’62, JD ’65, former Texas Secretary of State (1973-77), Texas Attorney General (1979-83) and Governor of Texas (1983-87).
* Medal of Service, Business Leadership: Gary Keller, BBA ’79, co-founder and Chairman of the Board of Keller Williams Realty, the second largest residential real estate company in North America.
* Medal of Service, Media Arts: Charles Overby, a former Baylor Regent who is now chairman and CEO of the The Freedom Forum, The Diversity Institute, and the Newseum.
* Baylor Legacy Award: Jim, BBA ’58, and Nell Hawkins, pillars of the Waco community and longtime donors to academic and athletic scholarships.
* Baylor Legacy Award: Joe, LLB ’49, and Barbara Allbritton, a civic-minded couple that has generously supported many academic departments and programs at Baylor.
* Founders Medal: John, BA ’50, JD ’52, and Marie Chiles, who have supported one or more Baylor projects every year for more than four decades, particularly the Mayborn Museum and the Louise Herrington School of Nursing.
Know someone who you think should be recognized next year? Nominations for the 2012-13 Alumnus and Young Alumnus of the Year awards are now being accepted at baylor.edu/alumni/awards.
Sic ’em, Bears!