Another Baylor alum added to long list of Bears serving as college/university presidents
On Monday, Gordon College became the latest institution of higher education to name a Baylor graduate as its president. Dr. Michael Lindsay, BA ’94, will take the helm of Gordon, a Christian liberal arts college outside Boston, on July 1.
A Phi Beta Kappa graduate here at Baylor, Lindsay has most recently served as a professor of sociology at Rice University, where he was also a scholar at the school’s James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy. Lindsay joins a long list of Baylor graduates serving as president or chancellor at colleges and universities not only around the country, but around the world:
- Dr. Paul Armes, BA ’71, President, Wayland Baptist University, Plainview, Texas
- Dr. Jerry Cain, MA ’71, President, Judson University, Elgin, Ill.
- Dr. F. Gregory Campbell, BA ’60, Carthage College, Kenosha, Wisc.
- Dr. Gary Cook, BA ’72, Dallas Baptist University, Dallas, Texas
- Dr. Edwin Crank, BA ’58, Jacksonville College, Jacksonville, Texas
- Harry Davros, JD ’94, Wade College, Dallas, Texas
- Dr. Donald Dowless, PhD ’89, Shorter University, Rome, Ga.
- Dr. Ronald Ellis, MS ’81, California Baptist University, Riverside, Calif.
- Dr. Charles Estridge, PhD ’91, Valor Christian College, Columbus, Ohio
- Dr. Wayne Hatcher, MA ’80, Rich Mountain Community College, Mena, Ark.
- Dr. Kao Kim Hourn, BA ’89, MS ’95, PhD ’95, University of Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Dr. Nirund Jivasantikarn, BS ’70, EDD ’81, Yonok University, Lampang, Thailand
- Dr. Chuck Kelley, BA ’74, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, New Orleans, La.
- Dr. Michael Lindsay, BA ’94, Gordon College, Wenham, Mass.
- Rene Maciel, MSED ’91, Baptist University of the Americas, San Antonio, Texas
- Dr. Harold Nolte, BS ’77, MSEd ’80, Navarro College (Ellis County Campuses), Midlothian and Waxahachie, Texas
- Dr. Dub Oliver, BS ’87, East Texas Baptist University, Marshall, Texas
- Dr. Randy O’Rear, EDD ’04, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Belton, Texas
- Dr. Janie Park, BSN ’68, Chadron State College, Chadron, Neb.
- John Pugh, BA ’67, University of Alaska Southeast, Juneau, Alaska
- Dr. Myles Shelton, BA ’75, MS ’76, EDD ’94, Galveston College, Galveston, Texas
- Dr. Robert Sloan, BA ’70, Houston Baptist University, Houston, Texas
- Dr. Beck Taylor, BBA ’92, Whitworth College, Spokane, Wash.
- Dr. Craig Turner, BA ’69, MA ’71, Catawba College, Salisbury, N.C.
And that list doesn’t include two other prominent members of the Baylor family without degrees from BU. Longtime religion professor and former provost Dr. Randall O’Brien is president of Carson-Newman College in Jefferson City, Tenn., while longtime law school professor and former BU interim president Bill Underwood is president of Mercer University in Macon, Georgia. (If I’m missing anyone else that should be listed, please let me know!)
Sic ’em, Baylor Bears leading in higher education!
(4/5/11 update: Added Dr. Nirund Jivasantikarn and John Pugh to the list.)
(4/6 update: Added Dr. F. Gregory Campbell to the list.)
(4/8 update: Added Dr. Donald Dowless and Dr. Chuck Kelley to the list.)