• Green and gold still reign supreme, but bronze is nice, too

Bronze castingI was never much of an artist, especially when it comes to sculpting. One sure sign of my sister’s love for me is that she still has the ceramic cat I made for her in junior high; it looks more like a wiener dog than anything feline.

My lack of ability in that arena might explain my interest in those who do have such talent — particularly Baylor students, of course. BU photographer Robert Rogers had the chance to attend a semester-end bronze casting just before Thanksgiving and got some great pictures (seen in this photo gallery). Associate professor of art Robbie Barber, whose focus is sculpture and 3-D design, explains what the students were doing:

“Sculpture is one of the studio-based programs within the Department of Art at Baylor University. Students are taught the fundamentals in relation to woodworking, welding and casting. These images document the recent metal pour of the students work in relation to the Wood Sculpture IIA class. Students created wood patterns, then pulled sand molds from these patterns, then cast these in bronze.”

Sic ’em, Baylor art students!