• Baylor senior’s Semester at Sea introduced the world, one port at a time

About 20% of Baylor students spend a summer or a semester studying abroad before graduating — well above the national average. Bears can either go abroad with Baylor professors and classmates to countries like Argentina, China and France, or choose a destination almost anywhere on the globe through exchange programs with universities around the world.

Senior Amy DeVillez took a third route, choosing to follow in her mother’s footsteps and spend a Semester at Sea. Over four months this spring, she and nearly 600 other students from colleges and universities all over the U.S. sailed around the world aboard a traveling university, stopping in ports such as Hawaii, Japan, China, Vietnam, India and South Africa for short stays. (Click here for photos from DeVillez’s travels.)

“There has been so much I have learned about myself and the world. It’s incredible what immersing yourself in a developing country for a week can do,” says the Houston native. “I have learned how much I use that I don’t need. I have learned how much I take for granted so many things such as clean water or a bed. I have learned how so incredibly fortunate I am to have the life I do in America.

“I think this semester will help me realize how fortunate I am to be at Baylor with a good education. Seeing how many people around the world live off of absolutely nothing and coming back to America into my blessed life will be an extreme culture shock. I hope I can encourage others to travel and not just see the touristy spots of Europe, but experience the third world countries such as India or Ghana. Yeah, it may be hard at times, but traveling into developing countries is so eye-opening and life-changing. I think this semester will help me to better myself and help others in the future.”

Sic ’em, Baylor students studying abroad!