• Visiting fan commends Baylor fans’ hospitality

Baylor tailgatingOne of the imperatives of Baylor’s Vision 2012 is “Winning with Integrity.” Naturally, the emphasis there is on Baylor’s student-athletes — that they would not only succeed athletically, but also in the classroom and in life. But a corollary of that is how Baylor alumni and other fans carry themselves, as well, particularly around athletic venues. I was pleased to read this letter to the editor that ran in last week’s Waco Tribune-Herald from a Connecticut resident who came down for the Baylor-UConn football game.

“At the age of 78, my wife and I have lived long enough to say that our recent visit to Waco will be a standout memory for our remaining years. We arrived Sept. 19 to attend the University of Connecticut vs. Baylor University football game. This was not only our first visit to Waco but our first visit to Texas. Unfortunately, the only prior knowledge we had of Waco was the news coverage of the David Koresh cult, but we arrived with open minds and soon found ourselves being welcomed wherever we went. …

“We arrived at the football stadium to find tailgating in full swing with smoke billowing from huge trailers hauling double grills. I had never seen one of these grills, and here was a field full of them. My wife and I walked around — in UConn shirts — and nearly every group around a grill extended an invitation for us to join them for a meal and beverage. Not one derogatory remark was passed.

“We were overwhelmed by the kindness extended to us, especially the Bears fans. We have never been the recipients of so much genuine hospitality. In a world of so much negativity, to be treated as we were is such a stark contrast that we felt we had to write and extend our thanks and gratitude to the people of Waco and especially those Bear fans. Bless you all.

— V. Wright, Waterford, Conn.”

Sic ’em, Baylor fans, for representing our University so well!